Get the inside scoop on what's cooking at
Taste of the Times
The Grog Burger O'Neill is not willing to tell Collins the ingredients in the special seasoning for The Grog Burger - but we got it out of him later.
Browse from over 714 recipe videos! All Recipe Videos »
Browse all text recipes! All Text Recipes »
Cakes can be intimidating, especially the ever fickle egg foam cake. The most common egg foam cake, the Angel food cake is a versatile foundation whose simple elegance pairs well with any topping. From strawberries to whipped cream or powdered sugar, the Angel Food Cake bodes well for a variety of desserts.
Truly technique driven, the Angel Food Cake is prepared without the use of leavening agents such as baking powder or baking soda. Instead, this cake features egg foam, or beaten egg whites, as its primary source of that signature light and airy texture. Greg "Mr. Cake" Case guides us through this culinary technique with helpful hints and tips in his newest online recipe video for Angel Food Cake.
Perfect for a romantic Valentine's dinner or to enjoy with the fresh fruits and berries of the summer, the Angel Food Cake unlocks a world of desserts and sweet treats for you to enjoy.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 cups of egg whites, separated.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350ºF
2. Warm eggs to room temperature by either letting them sit for 30 minutes, or 5 minutes in hot water.
3. Separate the eggs. Remove the yolk, and pour whites into the blender.
4. Sift flour and sugar 5 times to ensure airiness, and remove any lumps.
5. Beat the eggs in a mixer until the whisk leaves trails in the batter. When the batter sticks straight up to a point on the whisk, it is ready.
6. Add cream of tartar and combine.
7. Pour batter into a larger pan to hand mix with.
8. Sift in thirds of your flour and sugar mixture, folding it in between, removing any lumps and air pockets.
9. Pour in Angel Food Cake pan, remove air bubbles, and level the top of the batter.
10. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
11. Let cool while inverted
In 1978, Greg Case was working four jobs to pay for his Manhattan tenement apartment. The apartment was run-down but the location was perfect: down the hall from the hairdresser for Good Morning Ameri