Get the inside scoop on what's cooking at
Taste of the Times
A ham is already cooked so the baking is to just warm it up and season with sauce.
Browse from over 714 recipe videos! All Recipe Videos »
Browse all text recipes! All Text Recipes »
When the arrival of spring breathes new life into everything around you, it's hard not to catch on to the trend as well. Breathe new life into your own life with the fresh fruits and vegetables popping out of the ground this time of year. Stephanie Smith of Gloucester, MA Hometown Ace Hardware's Changing Tides Gift shares her recipe for an Avocado Beet Salad; the perfect cure for that need for new life.
To say that this salad is colorful is an understatement. With its many varying shades of green from the mixed greens and avocados, to it's rich, deep earth tones from the beets all offset by the vibrant pop of caracara oranges, this salad is as visually stimulating as it is delicious.
Enjoy this salad with your next meal, or share it with your family and friends over Easter dinner; this salad is certainly one you'll want to share.
1-2 Whole Beets
1 Whole Avocado
1 Whole Orange
1 Whole Red Onion
1 Bag (or equivalent) Mixed Greens
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Orange Juice
1 Whole Orange Zest
1/4 Cup Roasted Almonds
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Mix orange juice, orange zest, oil and vinegar in a bowl.
2. Roast, peel and slice the beets into disc shapes.
3. Marinate the beets in the dressing while you prepare the rest of the salad.
4. Put greens and onions on the plate.
5. Slice avocado into wedges and place them on top.
6. Place beets circles on top of the salad.
7. Sprinkle honey roasted almonds on top.
8. Dress salad with remaining dressing.
Recipe courtesy of Stephanie Smith, 2013.
Stephanie grew up in Connecticut as a latch key kid of two full time working parents. When she got home from school she would do experiments in the kitchen with whatever ingredients she could re