Get the inside scoop on what's cooking at
Taste of the Times
What Is Fondant? Learn what fondant is and how it is used in cake decorating. It is usually made with sugar, water and corn syrup.
Browse from over 714 recipe videos! All Recipe Videos »
Browse all text recipes! All Text Recipes »
Saucheesies are a very unique item to southern Indiana. Chef Jancey Smith describes them as “a mega hot pocket filled with sausage, cheese, peppers and onions.” The saucheesie is a favorite among Indianans especially while watching the game, or enjoying a night with the kids. Close to a calzone, saucheesies use bread dough to wrap up all the savory ingredients inside.
The trick to the saucheesie is to fill it as much as you can. If you don't add enough filler, the finished product will be a puffed up pastry with more air than filling; so you don't need to worry about over stuffing, cause that’s what it’s all about. The saucheesie is working its way out of southern Indiana and on to your dinner plate. Why don't you give it a try?
1 pound Sausage, your favorite
1 Roll Frozen Bread Dough, thawed
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 cup Onion, diced
1 clove Garlic, diced
4 ounces Mozzarella cheese
4 ounces Colby Jack cheese
2 teaspoon Butter, melted
1/4 cup Parmesean cheese
1. A day before, thaw the bread dough in a greased container. Cover with plastic wrap.
2. Brown the sausage with peppers, onions, and garlic.
3. Preheat your oven to 350ºF
4. Grease your baking pan, and divide the dough into quarters.
5. Roll dough into 4, 6-8 inch circles.
6. Distribute sausage and vegetables on the dough, and add cheese mixture.
7. Fold circles like you would a diaper, and place seam side down on baking pan.
8. Brush the dough with butter, and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
9. Bake for 25 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Lucy Atkins, Hilltop Tavern, 2013.
Inspired by the movie Julie and Julia and encouraged by her family, Jancey Smith began blogging and writing food columns over two years ago. By day she is a graphic designer and print coordi