Get the inside scoop on what's cooking at
Taste of the Times
Engagement Cake This an advanced cake decorating lesson. The cake is topped with cute “bride” and “groom” chocolate covered strawberries.
Browse from over 714 recipe videos! All Recipe Videos »
Browse all text recipes! All Text Recipes »
Over time, standard recipes develop unique personalities based on location. Pizza, for example, is traditionally baked in a brick oven in Italy, baked in a pan in Greece, made with thick crust in a deep dish in Chicago, and twice backed in Detroit. In Rhode Island, however, pizza is grilled. Born and bread in the heart of Rhode Island in the 1980’s this legendary pizza preparation is not only fun to make, it’s easy and delicious! The crunch and smoky flavor of the grilled dough paired with classic pizza toppings makes for a unique yet familiar dinner perfect for any cookout or gathering. This recipe calls for the traditional toppings inherent to any Margherita pizza: ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil, representing the three colors of the Italian flag. Grilled instead of baked, this Margherita puts a New England flair on the Italian classic. Everyone likes pizza, but everyone will love this version!
1 raw pizza dough, 8oz
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 vine ripe Roma tomato
1 large mozzarella ovalini
½ cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
½ cup crushed tomatoes
8 basil leaves, chiffonade (cut into thin strips)
1 ounce Parmesan Regianno
¼ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of pepper
1. On a well-oiled cutting board, stretch dough by hand until thin. Stretch the dough out with your fingers, not a rolling pin.
2. Place dough on a well-seasoned, preheated, cast iron stove top grill pan over medium heat and cook until golden brown grill marks form (about 4 minutes). Flip dough and lower heat.
3. Add sliced mozzarella, sliced roma tomatoes, shredded cheese and crushed tomatoes.
4. Cover using an inverted sauté pan or tall pot cover. Cook until cheese has melted.
5. Remove and top with basil, Parmesan, pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
With an accomplished 20 year culinary career under his belt, Nick Rabar dove onto the television scene and never looked back. Emmy nominated for his hit show Nick Rabar: Chef 2 Go and Author of the ac