Get the inside scoop on what's cooking at
Taste of the Times
What Is Fondant? Learn what fondant is and how it is used in cake decorating. It is usually made with sugar, water and corn syrup.
Browse from over 714 recipe videos! All Recipe Videos »
Browse all text recipes! All Text Recipes »
Roseanne LeBlanc has been baking Italian biscotti for years, and she has been decorating them for just as long. What started as an enticing way to attract customers to her son’s tradeshow booth has taken off and turned into a booming business almost overnight. She invites you into her kitchen to teach you unique biscotti decorating techniques. Out with the old and in with the new, as this classic cookie gets an overhaul.
Rosanne explains that biscotti were designed in both shape and texture to survive in a pocket, mainly for Italian fishermen. The word “biscotti” means “twice-baked.” Biscotti are first baked in hand-formed loaves, then sliced and toasted. Returning to the oven draws off moisture and results in a crisp, dry cookie and allows the biscotti to be stored for an extremely long time without going bad. One of the distinctive aspects to Rosanne’s biscotti is that they are softer than typical biscotti, which makes them even more delicious than your traditional variety.
Another unique aspect to Rosanne’s treats is that they are decorated. Whether you make your own biscotti or purchase store bought, you can decorate them in a unique and healthy way. Trail mix is a great way to decorate Trail mix, is a blend of nuts, grains, dried fruit and chocolate, developed as a snack food to be taken along on hikes or other sporting activities. This specific trail mix Biscotti will keep both kids and adults energized as their summer activities pick up. You can make your own trail mix quite easily. “Why not put something homemade? I know what goes into it,” Rosanne explains as she stays away from prepackaged granola and fitness bars. A healthy topping of nuts, dried fruits, seeds and white chocolate gives you all the energy and sugar needed to stay active.
¼ cup Dried Fruit
¼ cup Nuts
¼ cup Seeds
¼ cup Chocolate
1. Use either store bought or self-made baked biscotti.
2. Melt the chocolate in a microwave-approved container, for 12 seconds at a time, or until soft.
3. Spread the chocolate on the flat side of the biscotti. You do not need to be fussy, as a bit of a mess gives them that “home-made” feel.
4. Combine the dried fruit, nuts and seeds in a small bowl creating your own unique trail mix. Select the composition according to taste and availability.
5. While the chocolate is still melted on the biscotti, sprinkle the trail mix on the biscotti until desired amount.
6. Drizzle more melted chocolate on top. This will give a nice garnish as well as secure the trail mix in place. Remember to work quickly with chocolate, because it will solidify. If that happens, re-melt in the microwave.
7. Serve and enjoy with a cup of coffee, a glass of milk, or as a snack.
Loved cooking and baking since I was a young girl. Both parents worked, so after school I would cook and bake and experiment with all kinds of food. Biscotti became my passion when I realized I cou